Oregon Institute of Technology moved their campus to the present location in the early 1960s to take advantage of the geothermal hot water that could be used for heating the buildings. Three wells between 1200 and 1800 feet (365 and 550 m) deep were drilled, producing 192oF (89oC) water at a maximum flow of 600 gpm (38 L/s). There are presently 12 buildings being geothermally heated covering approximately 763,400 ft2 (70,900 m2) of floor space, saving approximately $1,000,000 annually in heating costs. Line-shaft pumps with variable frequency drives are used to produce the geothermal fluids from the well, and then the hot water is gravity fed to all buildings on campus. Plate heat exchangers are located in each building to separate the potentially corrosive geothermal fluids from the secondary “clean” water for heating the various rooms